Mrs. Juanita Scott
Pensacola State College
Reimagine, Reignite! in 2016
To work in higher education is to answer the call to promote greater community, greater economic development, and greater quality of life in the communities we serve. Our Association of Florida Colleges (AFC) members embody the strength, dedication, and experience necessary to make these resolutions possible. We have a major responsibility to our local community, our state, and to the nation! It is certainly a responsibility that we take very seriously. In this regard, it is with great pleasure and humility that I assume the 2016 presidency of our dutiful organization, now in its 67th year of being the professional association for our 28 public community and state colleges in Florida.
As I begin my term as President, I will always keep in mind that the success of our association is not possible without the active support and participation of our members. I genuinely thank those who answered the call to serve in leadership roles. It is an honour to see so many passionate volunteers whose investment of time help us to provide opportunities for the entire association. I also welcome new and returning members for a great year of progress. I’m especially grateful to those past presidents who have devoted their energy and time to lend to the vision that makes AFC the strong and relevant organization it is today.
AFC has a solid membership base of more than 7,100 members who are on the frontlines of higher education and making dreams come true. Our member institutions make it possible for more than 800,000 thousand students across our great state of Florida to achieve academic and career success. It is no surprise that our institutions are recognized nationwide for the great work accomplished.
The annual conference in Orlando was very successful and I am really excited about the upcoming year. There are several wonderful projects and programs that we have been working on during the last few years that I am confident will continue to progress. My goal is to involve active members to guide in creating and sustaining a wide-range of resources for our colleagues throughout the state.
My vision for AFC includes continuing efforts to encourage legislative advocacy, professional development, innovative practices, community service, and networking. Reimagine, Reignite! This year’s theme is essentially a passionate call to action to rethink our approach, our perspective, and our efforts for how we meet our goals.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is about developing, enhancing, and promoting resources that allow us to redesign students’ educational experiences in order to ensure individual and institutional goals are achieved.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is about creating partnerships necessary to share knowledge on national issues in order to develop strategies to address areas such as campus safety, equity, and performance outcomes. We have the expertise right here in our great state to accomplish this goal.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is planning conferences designed to include even more collaborations among, regions, commissions and other partners. This effort essentially means we will be able to bring even more meaningful and relevant professional development closer to member institutions by intentionally designing quality, content driven programs and conferences.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is identifying ways to share more of our stories, more of our exemplary practices, and more of our innovations nationwide to highlight progress and outcomes in higher education.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is a concerted effort to keep our resources relevant, practical, and meaningful for our members. We must continue to actively support the development and growth of local chapters and commissions.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is increasing value-proposition for membership within the Association, in particular by the development of a Professional Speaker’s Bureau accessible to our member institutions; And by exploiting the applicable research of our practitioners within the college system.
- Reimagine, Reignite! is a deliberate action to leverage our strong membership numbers to focus on state legislation that impacts higher education and those we serve. It is imperative that we remain aware of and have a voice in any legislation that might have an effect on higher education in the state of Florida.
Utilizing our website, social media, newsletters, and e-blasts, we will continue to maintain communication with our members about issues affecting higher education, conferences, leadership opportunities, and more. The future of our organization relies on dedicated members who are passionate about higher education and the success of those we serve on a daily basis. In this regard, our strong relationships and partnerships with the Council of Presidents, Councils, Foundation, Florida College System, and affiliate members is key to ensuring that we continue to thrive as an organization.
I invite you to join me on this journey. As we progress though the year, let's continue to work to keep our Association strong. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at one of our many upcoming events! I believe that together we can make this the best year yet as we take AFC to the next level!
Juanita M. Scott
AFC President, 2016
FUN FACTS ABOUT 2016 AFC PRESIDENT JUANITA SCOTT
How long have you worked at Pensacola State College?
Almost 11 years
What is your current title?
Director, Professional Development
How long have you been a member of the AFC?
What is your favorite quote?
“How wonderful it is that nobody needs wait a single moment before starting to improve the world,” Anne Frank
What do you like to do in your free time?
What free time? I enjoy working on different community projects. I love to travel, leisurely! I love writing poetry. I love listening to different genres of music. I love reading “real” books. I’ve tried the e-readers and find that I still love the smell of and the crispy cracks of opening a new book. I love watching shows like Unsung, DIY shows, news programs, “old school” shows like Good Times, Sanford & Son, Everybody Loves Raymond, Big Bang Theory and Friends. I love occasionally watching favorite classic movies such as “To Sir, With Love” starring Sidney Poitier. I love watching football, rugby and lacrosse. My absolute favorite free time activity is relaxing on Pensacola Beach…at night. There's just something about watching the majestic waters of the Gulf of Mexico crashed upon the shoreline of our sugar white beaches, under the awesome glow of the moonlight. It's therapeutic.
If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?
If you had to leave town in a hurry, knowing you would not be able to return, what five things would you take with you?
1) A picture of my grandson, Caiden
2) My piano
3) Dental packet with a Reach Toothbrush, Johnson & Johnson floss and Crest Toothpaste
4) Collection of Maya Angelou Poetry
5) A giant size orange paperclip, with a small superball glued to it in a stainless steel bucket!
If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Play classical piano music.
If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be and why?
27. I thoroughly enjoyed that energetic period of my life with my white T-Top Pontiac TransAm, right before my oldest son was born. I was relishing my last days without any children and at the same time I was full of excitement and looking forward to becoming a Mom! However, I wouldn’t want to be pregnant forever!
2016 AFC President