The Association of Florida Colleges was founded in 1949 as the Florida Association of Public Junior Colleges by the presidents of Florida's first four public junior colleges. Its mission was to unite the colleges for the purposes of helping the Florida Legislature understand the junior college mission and to advocate for Florida's public junior colleges in the development of the state's long-range plan for higher education.
Since 1949, the Association's mission and purposes have grown in scope as has the Association itself. In 1971, the Association became the Florida Association of Community Colleges. The Association changed its name to the Association of Florida Colleges in 2010 to reflect the growth in many colleges to include baccalaureate degree programs and institutional name changes.
It has become the most inclusive higher education organization serving any college system in the nation. The AFC is the only organization which represents all employees, presidents, and trustees associated with a college system. Today, all 28 of the state's colleges support the work of the Association through institutional dues as do nearly 8,500 regular and retired members through the sharing of their talents, time and energy.
For a complete history of the Florida College System and the Association of Florida Colleges written by Dr. James Wattenbarger and Dr. Harry Albertson, with an update by Dr. Willis Holcombe, click here.