The mission of the Student Development Commission is to provide professional development and leadership opportunities for student affairs practitioners and others throughout the state who actively encourage students to realize their fullest potential and reach their educational, life and career goals.
WHAT WE DO
Student Development - Through our network we:
- Promote student service programs throughout the regions and statewide
- Share ideas and enhance professional development by offering conferences and workshops
- Discuss common problems and concerns
- Gather data and conduct surveys relative to various student service functions
- Represent the interests of our colleagues at various state meetings
- Coordinate activities with other commissions
- Acknowledge outstanding student service practices through Exemplary Practice Awards competition
- Recognize practitioners who are considered exceptionally effective and active in the local AFC chapter as well as the Student Development Commission through special service awards
- Provide a means for exchange of ideas and an update about regional activities through the publication of our newsletter, The Network.
Welcome - A Message from the 2017 Chair
John Fey, Pasco-Hernando State College
2017 Student Development Commission Chair
- Executive Board
- Who We Are
- Bylaws and Standing Rules
- Awards and Recognition
- Social Media - Get Connected
2017 EXECUTIVE BOARD
Chair: John Fey, Pasco-Hernando State College, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 727-816-3111
Chair-Elect: Lori Cannon, Gulf Coast State College, eMail: email@example.com; Phone: 850-873-3598
Immediate Past Chair: Deanne Abrams, Valencia College, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 407-582-2038
Recording Secretary: Adrienne Provost, Santa Fe College, eMail: email@example.com; Phone: 352-395-5611
Treasurer: Wendi Garrett, Gulf Coast State College, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 850-747-3200
Information regarding upcoming conferences, exemplary practice, and special contests will be posted here. Check back throughout the year for updates.
Submit Your Exemplary Practice in our 2017 Competition
AFC SDC ANNUAL CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS OPEN
What: Student Development Commission 50th Annual Conference
Hosted by: Pasco-Hernando State College
When: May 16-18, 2017
Where: PHSC Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch located in Wesley Chapel, FL
The Student Development Commission Newsletter, The Network, is published electronically four times a year. The SDC 2016 Pre-Annual Meeting and Conference newsletter is here!
BYLAWS and STANDING RULES
Recognizing the need to establish procedures and guidelines as they reflect the rights, responsibilities, and objectives of its membership, the Student Development Commission hereby adopts these Bylaws and Standing Rules:
Standing Rules (as of May 2014)
Bylaws (as of May 2015)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
The Student Development Commission has established six awards to honor and recognize members of the commission. Click on the links below to view criteria and nomination forms.
Cameron Hall Practitioner Award
Dr. Debra J. Hay Distinguished Award
Dr. Charles R. Dassance Student Development Advancement Award
Student Leader Connection Award
Faculty Connection Award
Exemplary Practice Award
2016 AWARD WINNERS
Cameron Hall Practitioner Award: James Evans, Broward College
Dr. Charles R. Dassance Student Development Advancement Award: Lara Zwilling, Sante Fe College
Faculty Connection Award: Cynthia Moody, College of Central Florida
Student Leader Connection Award: Arin Conrad, College of Central Florida
EXEMPLARY PRACTICE AWARD - 2017 FINALISTS
Indian River State College - Emerging Leaders Program
St. Petersburg College – Smart Start Orientation
Seminole State College – Presidents and Deans List through Recognition
Gulf Coast State College – Student Development Through Travel
SOCIAL MEDIA - GET CONNECTED
AFC Connections is our private interactive forum. Within this forum, we have the Student Development Commission Community. Please join the community and connect with us today!
How to Join the Student Development Commission Community:
- Visit http://www.myafchome.org and click the login button.
- Click on the 'My Profile' link.
- Click on 'My Features' and select "Circles" - All Circles.
- Scroll down to the student development commission community and select it.
- Look to the upper right corner of the page and select 'join circle.'
OR Click on the plug to be taken to the Student Development Commission Community and then log on to the website and then click Join Circle:
If you have an issue logging on to the site, first try clicking on the forgot my username AND the forgot my password links. Forgot my username will send you an email with your correct username. Forgot my password will send you a link to reset your password.
If your email address is not found on file, please send a message to email@example.com and a staff member will contact you.