Student Development Commission
2015 Commission of the Year
The mission of the Student Development Commission is to provide professional development and leadership opportunities for student affairs practitioners and others throughout the state who actively encourage students to realize their fullest potential and reach their educational, life and career goals.
Student Development - Through our network we:
- Promote student service programs throughout the regions and statewide
- Share ideas and enhance professional development by offering conferences and workshops
- Discuss common problems and concerns
- Gather data and conduct surveys relative to various student service functions
- Represent the interests of our colleagues at various state meetings
- Coordinate activities with other commissions
- Acknowledge outstanding student service practices through Exemplary Practice Awards competition
- Recognize practitioners who are considered exceptionally effective and active in the local AFC chapter as well as the Student Development Commission through special service awards
- Provide a means for exchange of ideas and an update about regional activities through the publication of our newsletter, The Network.
Chair: Deanne Abrams, Valencia College
Chair-Elect: John Fey, Pasco-Hernando State College
Past Chair: Marjorie McGee, College of Central Florida
Recording Secretary: Andrea Lee, State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota
Treasurer: Lori Cannon, Gulf Coast State College
Information about upcoming conferences, exemplary practice, and special contests will be posted here.
Check back throughout the year for updates.
We are excited to partner this year with the following Commissions for our 49th Annual Conference:
- Communications & Marketing
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Institutional Effectiveness, Planning & Professional Development
2016 Exemplary Practice Finalists:
Lenore Rodicio & Kathy Maalouf- Miami Dade College
"Shark Path - MDC Guided Pathway"
Kerry Roth & Harvey Slentz, J.D. – Florida State College at Jacksonville
"Financial Skills Academy"
Dr. Leonard C. Bass – Valencia College
Who we are:
Active participants in the Commission represent the following student service areas:
- Academic Advisement
- Admissions and Records
- Career Development
- Dean of Students
- Enrollment Management
- Financial Aid
- International Students
- Job Placement/Co-op
- Retention Programs
- Special Population Programs
- Student Activities/Student Leadership
- Student Development
- Student Disability Services
- and more!