Student Development - Through our network we:
- Promote student service programs throughout the regions and statewide
- Share ideas and enhance professional development by offering conferences and workshops
- Discuss common problems and concerns
- Gather data and conduct surveys relative to various student service functions
- Represent the interests of our colleagues at various state meetings
- Coordinate activities with other commissions
- Acknowledge outstanding student service practices through Exemplary Practice Awards competition
- Recognize practitioners who are considered exceptionally effective and active in the local AFC chapter as well as the Student Development Commission through special service awards
- Provide a means for exchange of ideas and an update about regional activities through the publication of our newsletter, The Network.
Chair: John Fey, Pasco-Hernando State College
Chair-Elect: Lori Cannon, Gulf Coast State College
Treasurer: Wendi Garrett, Gulf Coast State College
Information about upcoming conferences, exemplary practice, and special contests will be posted here.
Check back throughout the year for updates.
Student Development Commission 50th Annual Conference
Hosted by Pasco-Hernando State College
May 16-18, 2017
PHSC Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch
located in Wesley Chapel, FL
Who we are:
Active participants in the Commission represent the following student service areas:
- Academic Advisement
- Admissions and Records
- Career Development
- Dean of Students
- Enrollment Management
- Financial Aid
- International Students
- Job Placement/Co-op
- Retention Programs
- Special Population Programs
- Student Activities/Student Leadership
- Student Development
- Student Disability Services
- and more!
Recognizing the need to establish procedures and guidelines as they reflect the rights, responsibilities, and objectives of its membership, the Student Development Commission hereby adopts these By-laws and Standing Rules.
The Student Development Commission Newsletter, The Network, is published electronically four times a year.
Awards and Recognition
2016 Award Winners
Cameron Hall Practitioner Award
James Evans, Broward College
Dr. Charles R. Dassance Student Development Advancement Award
Lara Zwilling, Sante Fe College
Faculty Connection Award
Cynthia Moody, College of Central Florida
Student Leader Connection Award
Arin Conrad, College of Central Florida
Exemplary Practice Award
Indian River State College - Emerging Leaders Program
St. Petersburg College – Smart Start Orientation
Seminole State College – Presidents and Deans List through Recognition
Gulf Coast State College – Student Development Through Travel
The Student Development Commission has established six awards to honor and recognize members of the commission. Click on the links below to view criteria and nomination forms.
Click on the icons below to follow the Student Development Commission on Social Media!